The history of the museum
The Danish Jewish Museum is one of the newest state-recognized museums in Denmark.
The opening of the museum was the culmination of many years of work. The initiative for the museum originated from a group of private individuals who were involved in various ways in a series of exhibitions that were shown in Copenhagen in 1984 on the occasion of the 300th anniversary of the Mosaic Faith. Several of these individuals were also involved in the Society for Danish Jewish History, which at that time was the only organizational framework for work on Danish Jewish history.
The Gammel Strand Art Association showed the exhibition "Within the Walls: Jewish Art and Culture in Denmark". An exhibition about Jewish life "You Must Tell It to Your Children" was shown at Copenhagen City Hall. The special exhibition "Kings and Citizens" marked the Danish Jubilee of the Faith Community in the USA. From this work arose the idea of establishing a Danish Jewish Museum in Copenhagen, so that the public would have a permanent opportunity to encounter Jewish culture in Denmark.
The museum was anchored in a commercial foundation that was founded in 1985 with Hans Weinberger as the museum's first chairman. The museum has since had its own board of directors and been an independent institution.
The Danish Jewish Museum was inaugurated on June 8, 2004 by HM Queen Margrethe II, then Minister of Culture Brian Mikkelsen, then Mayor of Culture and Leisure Martin Geertsen, the Municipality of Copenhagen, the museum's board, Daniel and Ninna Libeskind, Studio Daniel Libeskind, representatives from the supporting foundations and many others.


Danish Jewish cultural heritage
is part of Denmark's cultural heritage
The museum was recognized by the state from 1 January 2011, and the Danish Jewish cultural heritage thereby became part of Denmark's cultural heritage. The museum manages this special part of Denmark's cultural heritage, is subject to the Act on Museums in Denmark and has the Danish Heritage Agency as its supervisory authority.
Since its early beginnings in 1985, the museum has received support and help from countless individuals and foundations. In addition, the Mosaic Faith Society has made a significant donation to the museum's collection, which was transferred to the museum's ownership upon state recognition on 1 January 2011. Part of this donation can be seen in the museum's exhibition.
In 2007, the museum launched an extensive research and dissemination project about the war experiences of Danish Jews from 1943-1945. The special exhibition "HOME", which opened in October 2013, was the culmination of this project.
The Municipality of Copenhagen provides the Danish Jewish Museum with an annual operating grant, and the museum also receives state aid according to §15 of the Museums Act.
The establishment and further development of the Danish Jewish Museum was supported by:
Sanna and Victor Borge Memorial Fund / Egmont Foundation / Knud Højgaards Fond / Stichting Marcus Choleva Family Foundation / Aase and Ejnar Danielsens Fond / Helene Elsass / Ministry of Culture / AP Møller and Wife Chastine Mc-Kinney Møller's Foundation for General Purposes / Supreme Court Attorney CL Davids Legat for Family and Friends / Realdania Foundation / Aage and Johanne Louis-Hansens Foundation / Ole Kirks Fond / Bikubenfonden / Bevica Fonden / Bernard Osher Jewish Philanthropies Foundation / Oticon Fonden / Mitco Fonden

Reopening after corona
In 2022, the museum reopened after a long closure during the corona pandemic. This was with the inauguration of a new entrance designed by Daniel Libeskind and completely new exhibitions. The then Minister of Justice, Mattias Tesfaye, cut the ribbon for the inauguration. That same autumn, the 400th anniversary of Jewish life in Denmark was marked, and HM Queen Margrethe II visited the museum and the new exhibitions. The reopening marked the completion of the first phase of a major rethinking of the museum's exhibitions and strategy. Work is underway to establish a completely new permanent core exhibition in collaboration with the Moesgaard Museum's Architectural Studio.
“It was a great pleasure to be able to show HM the Queen around the new exhibitions, which represent a completely new exhibition approach in Libeskind's iconic architecture. Especially because there is a special connection between the Danish royal family and the history of Danish Jews, which goes back to 1622, when Christian IV officially invited Jews to live in Denmark.” - Museum director Janus Møller Jensen
The history of the galley house
The Danish Jewish Museum is housed in the Galley House, which was originally part of Christian IV's (1588-1648) newly established harbor facilities, where the navy's ships, shielded from the eyes of spies, picked up ammunition, cannons and were provided with provisions on board. The Galley House is as old as the history of the Jews in Denmark and was built under the king who invited the first Jews to Denmark in 1622.
A building in Christian IV's war harbor
Museum inspector Hans Henrik Appel, Tøjhusmuseet, tells about Galejhuset: The designation galley house originates from the latter part of the 1800th century. It refers to a number of mentions from the years 1642-44 of some boats that were stored under the vault at the provision house. In connection with the construction of the house's 5 vaulted rooms 1605-09, the house is referred to as "the most beautiful house". The house was part of Christian IV's large clothing house complex with i.a. provianthus and port of war that had been begun in 1598.
The house originally had a flat roof with parapets, which could indicate that the house, among other things, was to serve as a defense. Against this, however, the wall on the outside of the facility is only half as thick as the gable wall. In the years 1614-16, a large roof structure was erected, and a smoking chamber was subsequently arranged below. Christian of Anhalt, who visited the facility in 1623, refers to the building as "Det lille tøjhus" and says that "ship pieces" are stored here, i.e. protection for ships. At the beginning of the 1700th century, the building was referred to as "the southern magazine house". The facility was ravaged by a major fire in 1719, and on that occasion the porthole that connected the galley house and the provianthus was completely torn down. In connection with the reconstruction, a bakery was set up in the building.
Timeline of the history of the galley house
1598: The construction of Christian IV's Cloth Hall with a naval port begins.
1605: Builder Joseph Matzen is contracted to build "the southernmost house".
1614: Carpenter Vidt Kragen is awarded a contract to construct a roof over the flat-roofed building.
1618: Master bricklayer Rasmus Bern is awarded a contract to furnish a smoking chamber during the roof construction on the vault at Provianthuset.
1623: Christian of Anhalt mentions in his diary "the other cloth house" with 5 vaults, in which 1000 pieces of ship's equipment (cannons) are stored.
1626: Construction of trusses on a half-timbered house in the vault at the Provisions Farm, in which large quantities of ammunition are stored.
1643-44: Christian IV mentions storage of and work on boats in the vault at Provianthuset.
1719: The building, along with the Provisions House, was destroyed by fire. During the reconstruction, a bakery was set up on the ground floor. The gatehouse that connected the building to the Provisions House was not rebuilt.
1862: A harness store is being set up on the 1st floor, while the vaults are used as a workshop and store.
1867-68: The war port is filled.
1902-06: Hans J. Holm's library building is being built above the building.

